- WSU Paul G Allen School for Global Animal Health
- Adjunct: School of Molecular Biosciences
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Society for Rickettsiology
- Chlamydia Basic Research Society
Dr. Omsland grew up in Norway, right outside the capital of Oslo. After earning a degree in Chemical Engineering in Norway, he moved to the US motivated by the prospect of graduate studies. Dr. Omsland earned his PhD in Cell Biology and Anatomy from the University of Arizona in 2005. Following completion of his PhD, Dr. Omsland did his postdoctoral training at Rocky Mountain Laboratories in Hamilton, Montana. Dr. Omsland established an independent research program at Washington State University in 2013.
Besides research, which keeps me both busy and entertained, I enjoy playing music, photography, hiking, and cooking - Cheers!
Education and Training
- 1997: Chemical Engineering, Ostfold College of Engineering, Norway
- 1999: BS, Molecular Biology, University of Wyoming
- 2005: PhD, Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of Arizona
- 2005-2010: Postdoctoral Fellow, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, NIAID, NIH.
- 2010-2013: Research Fellow, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, NIAID, NIH.
- Gireshaber, S., Grieshaber, N., Yang, H., Baxter, B., Hackstadt, T., and Omsland, A. (2018) The impact of active metabolism on Chlamydia trachomatis elementary body transcript profile and infectivity Journal of Bacteriology 200(14). pii: e00065-18. doi: 10.1128/JB.00065-18. PMID: 29735758 PMCID: PMC6018357
- Vallejo Esquerra, E., Yang, H., Sanchez, S. E., and Omsland, A. (2017) Physicochemical and Nutritional Requirements for Axenic Replication Suggest Physiological Basis for Coxiella burnetii Niche Restriction. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology 7:190. PMID: 28620582 PMCID: PMC5449765
- Omsland, A., Hackstadt, T., and Heinzen, R. (2013) Bringing culture to the uncultured: Coxiella burnetii and lessons for obligate intracellular bacterial pathogens. PLoS Pathogens 9(9):e1003540. PMID: 24039571 PMCID: PMC3764191
- Omsland, A., Sager, J., Nair, V., Sturdevant, D., and Hackstadt, T. (2012) Developmental stage-specific metabolic and transcriptional activity of Chlamydia trachomatis in an axenic medium. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA. 109(48):19781-5 PMID: 23129646 PMCID: PMC3511728
- Omsland A, Beare PA, Hill J, Cockrell DC, Howe D, Hansen B, Samuel JE, Heinzen RA (2011) Isolation from animal tissue and genetic transformation of Coxiella burnetii are facilitated by an improved axenic growth medium. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 77(11), 3720-5 PMID: 21478315 PMCID: PMC3127619
- Omsland, A., Cockrell, D. C., Howe, D., Fischer, E. R., Virtaneva, K., Sturdevant, D. E., Porcella, S. F., and Heinzen, R. A. (2009) Host cell-free growth of the Q fever bacterium Coxiella burnetii. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA. 106(11), 4430-4 PMID: 19246385 PMCID: PMC2657411