Students Targeted toward Advanced Research Studies
Research science not only can give you a rewarding professional career, but it can be a vehicle for you to contribute to your community and the nation. The WSU STARS program gives select students a chance to accelerate the learning process so they can earn a Ph.D. in as little as seven years after leaving high school. STARS is the fast-track to professional life in the biosciences. An overview of the STARS academic timeline can be found here.
To help promote student success, the program starts freshman year and includes strong support at every level such as:
- One-on-one instruction starting freshman year in a research laboratory of your choice within WSU's School of Molecular Biosciences or Program in Integrated Physiology and Neuroscience
- The opportunity to earn a B.S. Degree in Biochemistry, Genetics and Cell Biology, Microbiology, or Neuroscience in as little as 3 years
- Paid summer research work the summer after your freshman year, with annual increases as you progress through the program
- Financial support for your freshman year, with annual increases as you progress through the program.
- Personalized faculty advising from Day 1
- A seamless transition to graduate level courses in the School of Molecular Biosciences or Integrated Physiology and Neuroscience in your senior year. The STARS program selects students with strong math and science backgrounds who are interested in pursuing a doctorate degree. They must possess good academic fundamentals, a serious work ethic, and have the personal discipline to excel.