MBioS PSM Degree - Curriculum
The following graded Science and Professional courses and Internship will be required by PSM students.
Science Required Courses
- MBioS 501 (3) Cell Biology*
- MBioS 503 (3) Advanced Molecular Biology I
- MBioS 513 (3) General Biochemistry I**
- MBioS 578 (3) Bioinformatics***
Professional Required Courses
One course from each of the following five professional areas:
- Phil 530 (2) Bioethics
- Phil 532 (3) Seminar in Business Ethics
- Phil 535 (3) Advanced Biomedical Ethics
- ENGL 495 (3) Rhetoric of Science and Technology
- ENGL 562 (3) Writing & Rhetoric in Science & Technology
- COM 541 (3) Science Communication
- MBIOS 580 (2) Science Information Literacy
- Business Focus
- EM 505 (3) Finance for Technical Systems
- EM 508 (3) Legal Concepts for Engineering and Technical Management
- ENTRP 486 (3) Launching New Ventures
- MKTG 506 (3) Marketing Strategy
- EM 501 (3) Management of Organizations
- EM 522 (3) Leadership, Supervision and Management
- EM 564 (3) Project Management
- EM 575 (3) Performance Management in Technical Organizations
- Skills Seminar
- MBioS 583 (1) Professional Skills Seminar (recommended the first semester of study)
The following graded Science and Professional courses will be electives for PSM students. Students are required to take 2 electives, at least one from the Science and one from the Professional Course elective groups.
- Science Course Elective
- MBioS 514 (3) General Biochemistry II
- MBioS 525.01 (01) Genetically Modified Organisms
- MBioS 525.02 (01) Genes, Genomes and Society
- MBioS 529.01 (01) Cytoskeleton
- MBioS 529.02 (01) Membrane Biogenesis & Intracellular Trafficking
- MBioS 550 (3) Microbial Physiology
- MBioS 574 (3) Protein Biotechnology
- MBioS 584 (3) Medical Genetics
- MBioS 585 (2) Molecular Biotechniques
- MBioS 586 (1) Molecular Biotechniques Laboratory
- STAT 412 (3) Statistical Methods in Research
- STAT 512 (3) Analysis of Variance of Designed Experimentation
- Professional Course Electives
- COM 478 (3) Health Communication
- COM 561 (3) Professional Multimedia Content Creation
- COM 562 (3) Crisis Communication in Global Contexts
- COMSTRAT 562 (3) Creative Media Strategies and Techniques
- COMSTRAT 564 (3) Consumer Behavior and Brand Development
- EM 526 (3) Constraints Management
- EM 530 (3) Applications of Constraint Management
- EM 560 (3) Integrated Supply Chain Management
- EM 570 (3) Six Sigma Quality Management
- IBus 380 (3) International Business
- MGMT/ENTRP 588 (3) Management of Innovation
- MBioS 701 (4) Master's Independent Capstone Project and/or Examination (formerly MBIOS 702)
(Note: Current students who have completed any MBIOS 702 credits should continue to enroll in MBIOS 702. All others should enroll in MBIOS 701).
- The courses for the PSM can be taken either through WSU online or via a combination of WSU online and on-campus at WSU-Pullman.
- Stats 512 has a prerequisite of Stats 412 (also offered online) or Math 360.
- MBioS 583 Professional Skills Seminar is offered online only.
- COM and COMSTRAT courses are limited on a space available basis. Enrollment priority is given to COM and COMSTRAT majors. PSM students will be registered manually by the COM department 1-2 weeks prior to start of term.
- There are no prerequisites for the graduate Professional Course Electives or for the required undergraduate, Entrp 486, course. Entrp 486 should not be taken in the first semester of study.
- Students wishing to enroll in the graduate level Professional courses online MgtOp/ENTRP/MGMT 588 and MKTG 506 must pay the higher cost of $750.00/credit.
- For course scheduling informationvisit the schedule of classes for current or future term
- Students may not apply for the Graduate Certificate in Professional Molecular Sciences and the PSM at the same time.
- Students who completed and earned a grade of C or better in *MBIOS 401 as an undergraduate student at WSU will need to select (with advisor approval) a substitute course for MBIOS 501.
- Students who completed and earned a grade of C or better in **MBIOS 413 as an undergraduate student at WSU will need to select (with advisor approval) a substitute for MBIOS 513.
- Students who completed and earned a grade of C or better in ***MBIOS 478 as an undergraduate student at WSU will need to select (with advisor approval) a substitute for MBIOS 578.
Course descriptions and links to courses/prerequisites may be found using the following links:catalog.wsu.edu/Pullman/Academics/Courses/MBIOS for Molecular Biosciences, and catalog.wsu.edu/Pullman/Courses for all other academic areas.